The Royal New Zealand Artillery
The Regiment was formed in 1950 for service in the Korean War and at that time was made up of:
The Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation was awarded to 16th Field Regiment RNZA for service in the Battle of Kapyong. The award was accepted but the citation was not worn until its official presentation in 2011.
The Regiment was disbanded at the end of the war in 1954, but was reconstituted in 1958 as part of the Regular Force Brigade Group, with 161 Battery, no 162 Battery, and 163 Battery as a troop equipped with 25-pounder guns. 163 Battery was disbanded in 1963 and re-established in 1993.
In 1965, 161 Battery deployed to Vietnam where it served until 1971. Battery members were prepared for their role in Vietnam by 16 Battery Depot.
The Presidential Unit Citation 1st Class was presented to 161 Battery in 1977 for service during the Vietnam War, and in 1995 the unit received the Meritorious Unit Commendation (MUC) in recognition of service with the United States 173D Airborne Brigade. Initially equipped with L5 pack howitzers, these were replaced in 1967 with 105mm M2A2 howitzers.
Since returning from Vietnam, the Regiment has been through many reorganisations. Today, 16th Field Regiment is made up of Regular Force (RF) and Territorial Force (TF) personnel. In 2000 and 2001, members of the Regiment formed part of the New Zealand Battalion on peacekeeping duty in East Timor. The 105mm light gun was introduced in 1987 and remains in service today.
The Regiment is based in Linton Military Camp.